Sunday, March 20, 2016

Spiritual Sunday- Level Up

Spiritual Sunday
I’ve never been too incredible at playing video games. I remember one stint I had in video games when I tried playing DC Universe (a MMORPG game set in the… DC Universe… that’s why they called it that. Oh.)

I don't play this much any more. I get too frustrated.
The first levels of game play you are encouraged to fight off an army of mutant gorillas on the beach. I tried for a little bit and I got tired of it. I started roaming the city to find out what other disasters I could prevent. Every time I did, I got my butt handed to me. My characters level just wasn’t big enough to take on most of these challenges. I had to do smaller things to build my character up before I could take on the bigger things.

When explaining what the gospel of Christ was, Paul laid out certain steps that were re-iterated by Alma and Nephi in the book of Mormon, By Joseph Smith and Brigham Young in the modern era, and Jesus Christ from the beginning. These steps are Faith, Repentance, Baptism (covenant), Receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost (receiving a blessing) and enduring to the end (repeat the process). So what is something you want to improve on? Let’s say you want to level up your ability to play the spoons.

the same steps that teach you how to play the spoons
can be used to help you become better in all aspects of life
Faith: do you believe you can play the spoons? This is the starting point, you can’t do it if you don’t believe you can.

Repentance: try playing the spoons. When you mess up, find your mistake, and don’t do that again. This step may require the help of others.

Baptism/ Covenants: how does this relate to playing the spoons? Well, after you practice and get good, you share the skill with others. At baptism we promise to be a help to others at any time we are called upon. So, perhaps this means that when we learn how to play the spoons, we turn and inspire others with our talents
Receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost (receive a blessing): now you can play the spoons!
Repeat.
This formula is, I would say, one of God’s greatest gifts. Not only is this a pattern to build our spiritual lives, but it can build any other attribute that we want to build up. We were just talking about the spoons here, how could these steps affect your ability to be a better worker? A better spouse? A better Christian? The atonement makes Change possible. The Gospel steps makes change attainable and understandable.

This week, let’s focus on an attribute that we want to level up, then take the steps to become better. Thank you for joining me today and have a good Sunday.

the views expressed in this article are those of the author. this post, nor any other post on this blog is endorsed by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints or any of it's affiliates. Spiritual Sunday is not appropriate material for talks, sermons, or any ecclesiastical purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment