Wednesday, November 9, 2016

A Letter to the World

Dear World,
Hello world. How have you been lately? I just wanted to write to you today and let you know how I think things are going.

We talked about you in one of my classes here on campus at BYU-I. We had to watch a video that was an “animated history of the world” explained in about 4 minutes and ended in the early 60’s. We start with the discovery of fire. Eventually philosophers started questioning and figuring out the reason behind certain ideas, politicians invent governments for the people, Columbus sailed, America established, WW2 was won and then a stark shift happened in the narrative. All of the sudden we see kids disobeying their parents (because we all know that never happened before….) we see the same feature from WW2 being re-played but in a very negative tone, Russia and America are sitting with fingers hovering over big red buttons and eventually a nuclear explosion ended this artists view of the you.

Now I know that a lot of us don’t see the 50’s and 60’s like that. We now see an expansion of culture. Technology. We see an expansion of free thought and a tolerance for new ideas that have benefitted our nation and the people who live in it. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness have never been more abundant nor accessible.

The point is, as time passes, we only really can see the good things that were accomplished. In the moment it seems like things couldn’t get any worse. Then the next generation takes over and suddenly we have to put a label on them and pit all the problems of the world onto them. I get that. Times change, new problems arise, and it becomes scary. We look for someone to blame because it’s not our fault and it has to be someone else’s.

I loved my Mission. while there I learned a lot about myself
and the people I find myself with. Turns out people are generally
good!
About 4 years ago I started serving my mission for the LDS church in the beautiful state of Michigan. Every day I had to deal with people telling me why I am not needed, why I am not wanted, and why everything I stand for is wrong. It hurt. A lot. Often. But something I found was that the up and rising generation would always be a lot more open to talking as well as much less derogatory towards me. I had found something that worked for me, and they respected that and wanted to know why and how.

Another instance: I occasionally look at anonymous social media like Yik Yak or Whisper. The idea is that since your name is not associated with the posts then people will be a lot more open to sharing their true secrets and desires. When I change the audience to be world-wide rather than local I can get a bigger picture of the insides of these people’s minds. Everything from Pokémon to politics is discussed but the most predominate thoughts are those that are directly against the stereotype of millennials. We want to have our own home, we want to have a happy marriage and family, we want to gain as much knowledge as we can and we really just want to be respected. You are heading in a good direction. No need to freak out.

And let’s not forget the great things that have happened for us in the past! It was the past generations who allowed us to get to a point where tolerance like this can happen and where I can proudly announce that I am LDS and not have to worry about being shot like my ancestors did. a world that doesn't just follow, but thinks as well.  A world where me and my generation can go ahead and dream big and accomplish those dreams. Hats off to you!

In times of disagreement and contention, it is easy to lose track of things as they really are and replace it with our own realities. In the end the only thing that matters is that we remember that God is in control of events and we are in control of our own destinies and our perceptions of reality. We can choose to be negative and fearful or we can choose to have faith in ourselves, faith in our fellow men, and faith in God. Don’t worry so much. Things may seem dark now, but that’s only because you are squinting rather than opening your eyes to the wonders of life.

Excited to hear what we do next!

Best wishes,
--Taylor Campbell
                Blogger, Comic Fan, Christian and dreamer.



Like that? go ahead and head to my facebook page and like it to get more writings as they come. Also, be sure to follow me on twitter @SupermanLegion. I’m also on Instagram @b_taylor_campbell . thank you and have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment