Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Review- The Flash: Duet


The highly anticipated Flash/Supergirl crossover episode dropped this week. Here’s what I have to say.

Is It Family Friendly?

As far as violence, the episode in question is quite a ways down the list. No sex is shown or mentioned in the episode. The only thing I can find that parents should be cautious of is the plague of modern TV and that is that every show must have a gay partnership for reasons. One is mentioned between two characters but nothing is shown and nothing is said outside of “dads”. Parents should consider that before showing their kids this episode. Outside of that, I can recommend the episode for fun family showing assuming that your kids are, let's say, over 10? That’s my recommendation. Only you know what’s best for your family.

Story

The Story itself is honestly pretty one-sided. While the narrative did help to fix a problem in Supergirl, it mostly impacted what was happening in The Flash. More on this later.

The new character, Music Meister, was a huge breath of relief for me. I was concerned when he was announced as the villain because Music Meister really is someone stuck in the 50’s. I’d argue he is still there. The character we got was more of a sci-fi dream wizard kind of character that wasn’t limited to just making everyone sing but rather channeling people's inner thoughts/ favorite films into a type of reality. My superhero brain thought it was awesome and a great way to upgrade such an ancient character.

The Music

Because it's a musical. of course I'm going to cover the music.

Sometimes I hear a song that makes me want to magically turn my life into a musical. The music in this episode did just that for me mostly. Particularly "Put a Little Love in Your Heart" and "Super Friend". Very catchy.

The thing is, though, did anyone doubt that this episode would happen? Both Melissa Benoist and Grant Gustin have had rather extensive music and singing careers, both appearing on Glee and Grant traveled around the country quite extensively as a dancer. Just check this out!




The Problems


The Balance was off. I can’t blame the producers too much, though. What started as a massive 4-part crossover quietly and quickly got cut down every time I looked back at it until we got one 45 minute episode. A story of this caliber with this many characters really needed to be a bit longer, or at least a 2-part crossover.

This episode was very stuck on the flash and what was happening in his show as opposed to giving equal attention to the events in Supergirl. The plot was very rushed but that was covered up with jokes like “wow, it is really easy to convince people to do stuff in musicals”. That’s still no excuse, but between trying to turn a massive story into 45 minutes and cutting back to what the flash crew was doing make it forgivable. I still want that 4-part crossover I was promised.

Consensus

This was an episode for people that have not been following either show or do anything very related to Superheroes at all. It stands alone perfectly but also should not work as an introduction to the series.

I would recommend this episode to those who really miss Glee. It wasn’t so much a superhero thing as it was a musical and the talents of the former glee cast throughout the episode was a nice touch. I can tell you though that this massive Superhero fan/ former music major loved this episode wholeheartedly.

Where can I get it?

For a limited time, the episode will be on the CW’s website and you can see it there anytime on demand by clicking this link. It will also be released on the Flash Season DVD and you can get the music on iTunes or wherever you pick up music from online. Until then,

Lend a helping hand,

Put a little Love in your heart…




Thanks for joining me on the review. What were your thoughts on the episode? Place your comments down below, thank you for liking and sharing this article, remember to always be your best self

No comments:

Post a Comment