Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Woody's Origin- The Finale: A Toy's Purpose







Woody's Origin Finale- A Toy's Purpose

 Woody traversed the streets in the jeep for the last couple hours. He should have come by the river by this point. Where was it?

“Maybe I should have let Carl come along…” thought Woody. Woody stopped at a corner and got out of the jeep. He walked a little ways into the road to get a better look at the street sign. He heard a rustling in the bushes on the other side of the street from where he was parked. Woody looked in the direction of the notice and saw a couple leaves on the shrub shake a little bit. Woody slowly backed up towards the jeep.

A gust of wind brushed past Woody’s face as a black shadow scurried across the dark end of the street. Woody folded up the map into a tube. Holding the tube like a sword, Woody backed slowly to the jeep. The shrub just opposite of him on the street started shaking. The rustling got really heavy. Woody felt a cold chill run down his neck yet he was paralyzed. The rustling grew louder and out came a squirrel.

“Oh hey, there little buddy. Do you know where I’m at” said a relieved Woody. The squirrel looked at the sheriff and then above Woody’s head. Immediately the squirrel bolted back into the shrubs.
“Hey there, no need to run away.” Woody heard a low grumble. Behind the sheriff was a large pit-bull. Woody ran into the jeep and turned the key. It wouldn’t start. The batteries were probably out. Woody bolted into the bushes. Large barks kept pushing Woody back into the shrubs. Twigs snapped between the dog’s teeth, large puddles of drool making their way ever closer to Woody. The dog’s nose just about touched Woody’s vinyl head when suddenly, there was a loud whistle.
“Brutus, come here boy!” the dog turned and ran, but Woody was focused on the voice.

“Dave?” called Woody. Woody crawled out from under the bush and saw Dave rubbing the dog’s underside. Dave looked at the bush and saw the cowboy.

“Alright Brutus, stay.” Dave walked up to Woody and gave him a big bear hug. “It’s good to see you now Woody.”

Woody was more surprised by Dave’s behavior than he was by anything else this night.
“What happened? We all saw your note…”

Starting Woody's gift with training and working with animals.
“On my way to the river, I met Brutus. He’s a stray that I came across. He’s not vicious, he’s just really playful”.

Woody walked up to Brutus.

“h-h-hi b-b-Brutus…” spoke Woody softly. Brutus went down and gave Woody the biggest ‘hello’ lick ever. Woody stumbled back from the force of the greeting “charming”.

Dave pulled Woody up on Brutus’s back and they rode off into an alleyway.

“Dave, I’ve come to insist that you come back home”. Explained Woody. Dave set up an old newspaper into a bunch in the corner of the ally.

“I am home Woody”. Woody tried to fight that but Dave cut him off to explain further.

“You see, a toy’s job is to be their when their kid needs them. Now answer this sheriff, what do you do when your kid doesn’t need you?”

Woody had never considered that question.

“You see Woody, I was really just a space filler. Combat Carl ended up taking over most of my parts anyway in playtime. I bet Andrew didn’t even look for me when I left.”

Woody couldn’t deny that.

“When our job is finished, it’s time we find a new purpose. I’ve been happier here than I have been for years. Brutus is a good friend and he needs me.”

“Are you sure? He looks just fine to me.” Said Woody. Just then, Brutus hit headfirst into a wall. This was the first Woody was able to see it, but in the dimly lit light, he could see a scar running across Brutus’ eye.

“He doesn’t have depth perception. He’s been in several dog fights already and that’s actually how I found him. I help him navigate”.

Woody looked in awe at the dog and then at Dave. “But, you are committed to Andrew” said Woody.
Dave leaned back against his newspaper wad bed. “Woody, Andrew is committed to you. I’ve felt better and I’ve felt…loved… since I came here. Woody, this is my purpose. This is where I’m needed. Get some sleep. Before morning Brutus and I will take you back to Andrews.”

Dave walked up to Brutus and lightly brushed his ear. Brutus calmed down and curled into a small ball on the ground. Dave leaned himself against the soft, warm body of Brutus and began to fall asleep. Woody looked at the pair. He can’t remember the last time Dave actually smiled.
A couple hours went by and Dave walked up to Woody. Woody didn’t sleep that night.
“Are you alright Woody?” asked Dave. Woody stood up and faced Dave.

“I don’t understand completely, but I do see that you are indeed happy here, but you need to come home to Andrew. With me.”

Just to give an idea of what an Alley-way looks like. Also because
I need a picture here. screenshot from the Toy Story 2 video game.
“Woody, this isn’t like going to the attic or being put into a storage box. I’m never going to get much playtime anymore. This is where I am needed. I don’t expect you to understand, but I need you to allow me to make my own choice here.”

Dave and Woody hopped onto Brutus’ back and Brutus grabbed the jeep in his mouth. The trio then rode off to Andrew’s house. Brutus dropped the jeep at the front door and Woody hopped off.
“Are you sure this is what you want to do Dave?” asked Woody. Dave nodded yes.

“This isn’t just what I want Woody, it’s what I need.” He and Woody shook hands and Dave rode off
into the sunrise. Woody quietly tip-toed back into Andrew’s room.

Several years went by. More toys came and went and Woody watched every one of them go until it was just left to him. At this point, Woody was more of a shelf item than anything else, but occasionally he would see Dave lift his head up to Woody and smile. If nothing else, Woody needed to be that for Andrew.

Andrew was half done up in a tuxedo all day this morning.

“Andrew? Have you finished packing?” called mom’s voice.

“Just about mom”. Andrew set everything in boxes. All that remained were a couple model planes, some books and Woody. Andrew set the rest of his things in a backpack.

“Andrew, hurry!” called mom.

Andrew’s mom entered the now empty room. A couple tears came down her face.

“Are you alright mom?” asked Andrew. His mom sniffled and Andrew went to her and they clasped each other in a tender hug.

“You grew up so fast. Faster than I ever thought you would”. Cried mom. The two held each other for a bit longer. Until she backed up.

“So, are you going to pack the car now?” asked mom

“I don’t think so” said Andrew. “The plan is that we are going to come back here, change, and pack everything up then. We also have to go to her place to grab a couple of things.”

Andrew and his mother left the room. Woody stood up outside of the back pack. And watched out the window and Andrew drove to the beginning of his important decisions. Woody pat himself on the back.

“You did good Woody” he said to himself as he watched the car drive off. Woody went back into the backpack and let himself have some necessary rest.

Honestly, this part is here just for fun. There is a lot of evidence
to support the idea that Emily is Andy's mom and I am in that
camp of opinion, though I may not explain it fully here. Perhaps
I will sometime. let me know if it's something you'd like to see.
Andrew came back with his new bride, Emily, and they changed out of their wedding attire. All of Andrew’s stuff was loaded into the car and after a quick stop at Emily’s house the happy couple went on their way.

“Honey, can we make a quick stop by the park actually?” asked Emily.

“Sure, what’s there?” asked Andrew.

“I have a box of things that I need to drop off at a thrift store, and there’s a donation truck there today.”

One quick stop and then Andrew and Emily were off to start their new life together.

Happy days followed. Andrew had a good job and he an Emily lived happily in their new neighborhood. Andrew never imagined he could be happier until his first son was born. They named him Andy, after his father. Happier new still when Andrew learned that Emily was pregnant with their second child. A girl. They haven’t decided on a name yet, but that comes later.

Andrew’s job fell through though. After running out of options, Andrew signed on with the military.
“But Andrew, what about the kids?” asked Emily

“I’m doing this for you. I know things have been rough for us, but listen. After each tour they promised I’ll be home to take care of you and the baby. It’ll just be until we get enough money to pay off the house.” The two embraced. A knock was sounded at the door.

“That’s my ride.” Said Andrew, still holding tightly to Emily. Andrew squeezed a little tighter before he let go and turned away towards the door. Andy was on the red recliner next to the door. He had been crying. Andrew opened the door.

“Just a minute please. I need to say goodbye to my son”. The military man nodded.
“I’ll just wait in the car. I’ll give you 5 minutes.” Andrew closed the door and looked at his son. A thought came to his mind and he ran upstairs to the master bedroom. Andrew came back down.
“Andy, come here please”.

Andy stood up from the chair and stood in front of his father. Andrew knelt down to look his son in the eyes.

“I need you to be strong. I need you to take care of mom for the next couple months”.
Andy nodded.

I'ts a well established fact that Woody was a hand-me-down
from Andy's Dad. It's mentioned in the special features
to Toy Story 2 and Pete even brings it up within the film.
“I brought a friend that can help you do that.” Andrew pulled Woody from behind his back.
“This is Woody. He’s been my best friend for as long as I can remember. He’s brave, like a cowboy should be, and kind and smart but the thing that makes Woody special is he’ll never give up on you. Ever. He’ll be there for you no matter what.” Andrew handed Woody off to his son.

“Now, promise me you’ll take good care of him. And take good care of your mom too. Ok sport?”
Andy nodded and hugged his father. The two held each other until the car outside honked.
Andrew stood and looked at his wife. “I’ll be back before Christmas, just in time for Molly’s
birthday”.

“If we are even going to call her that!” teased Emily.

The two kiss an Andrew walks out the door.

Spring ended

Christmas passed

By New Year’s, a service man had delivered a letter.

Molly was born soon after.

Emily just put Molly down for her mid-morning nap. She showered, got dressed, and placed a necklace with her and her late husband’s wedding rings around her neck. There was a knock at the door. Emily answered the door to find a group of kids. Gathered on the porch.

“Hi Ms. Davis. Is Andy here? We are all walking to school and mom said it would be good to invite him along.”

“Well that’s a nice thing for your mom to say. I’ll go check with him. Just wait here for a second.”
Emily walked up the stairs and peeked into Andy’s room. She saw him get dressed but he must have crawled back into bed.

“Andy, some kids want to walk to school with you today.” Andy slightly lifted his head.

“I’m not feeling well mom. I don’t think I can go to school today.”

Emily nodded and walked down stairs to tell the other boys that Andy won’t be making it to school. She walked back upstairs to check on him.

“Andy, is there anything I can do for you? Do you want something to eat? Want me to get you a book?”

“No”.

Emily looked around the room. Everything was so neat. On the shelf against the other side of the room was Woody.

“That was your dad’s favorite toy growing up”. Emily picked up the Woody doll and grabbed a few random toys from the shelves. She set the toys down on the ground and sat next to them legs crossed.
Andy sat up in his bed to see what was happening.

“Hey there, what’s your name?” said Emily as Slinky Dog

“I’m Woody. Howdy howdy howdy. What’s your name little doggy?”

“Little doggy?” cried Andy. “Mom, that’s not how it would go!”

“Well, how would it go?” asked Emily.

Andy got out of his bed and sat down opposite of his mother.

“Well, Mr. Potato head here, he’s the bad guy. Look, if you take out one of his eyes then he looks like a bandit!” Andy popped an eye out of Mr. Potato head.

“I see,.” said Emily. “But if there’s a bandit, then there has to be someone for Woody to save.”

Andy looked around the room. “How about this!” Andy went to a lamp on molly’s dresser. “One Eyed Bart has kidnapped Bo Peep. He has to save her!”

“But Woody can’t just go in and save her, because One Eyed Bart has a force field dog!” exclaimed Emily. She placed Slinky around Mr. Potato head as a force field.

“Mom! That’s not fair! Woody can’t get through the force field!” complained Andy.

Emily reached down for Mr. Potato head. She changed her voice to indicate that Mr. Potato head was speaking now.

“Hah! I knew I caught you sheriff! You’ll never save your sweetheart now!” said One Eyed Bart.
Woody looked around the canyon.

“You’d like to think that Bart, but I brought my Dinosaur! Who eats force field dogs!” Woody ran over to a ferocious, green Allorasourus and hopped on its back.

“Giddiup Rex! We gotta catch those bandits before they get to the border!” commanded Woody.
One Eyed Bart Started running with Bo Peep in tow.

“Oh, stop you rotten old potato!” shouted Bo.

“Pipe down! Or your sheep get it!” shouted Bart.

Woody gasped to see a three headed sheep suspended above a crate full of monkeys. He spurred the dinosaur faster to catch up. Suddenly a loud cry was heard.

Playtime took a pause.

“Sorry Andy, you keep playing, I have to go take care of your sister”. Said Emily as she got up to leave.

“It’s ok mom! I think I can take it from here”.

Andy continued playing as his mother left the room to check on Molly across the hall. She held the necklace with her wedding rings in her hand. She kissed the rings and went to comfort her other child.

Andy looked at the Mickey Mouse clock up in his room and saw that it was getting close to 3:30. His favorite show was about to come on.

“Mom! It’s almost 3:30!” called Andy

“Ok sweetie. Go ahead and turn it on”. Andy ran downstairs. Once the familiar “Buzz Lightyear of Star Command” opening music started, the other toys came alive.

“That was probably the best playtime we’ve had in a long time.” said Rex

“Darn Tootin’” responded Slink

“I don’t see what the big idea was bringing that newcomer into the mix” grunted Potato head as he searched for his other eye.

“I thought he was kind of cute.” said Bo. Potato head made the puking symbol behind her back.

“Whoever he is, I haven’t seen Andy that happy for months” pointed out Slink.

“Are you kidding? We’ve done a good job! Me particularly.” Chimed Potato head.

“I’m sorry, I’m afraid I have to agree with Slinky Dog on this one.” said Hamm from the top shelf.

One thing was for sure. Woody was here, and he’s going to stay.

Epilogue:

-The toys at the daycare started a system where toys would “mysteriously” go missing and end up in the backpacks of kids who were moving.

- Dave continued to help Brutus survive in the streets. The two became a strong force and spread the word that they can help lost toys get back to where they need to go.

And here we are, arriving at the first Toy Story.

- Emily would continue having occasional playtime with her son, Andy. She would sometimes remember an old Jessie the cowgirl doll that she used to have. Eventually she would find that Andy had obtained one somehow.

-Andy would really come out of his shell. Woody would accompany him to school a lot and soon Andy will have a group of friends. He is brought back to healthy social levels.

-Due to his experience and masterful touch with Andy, Woody would gravitate once again to a leadership position. His leadership would bring a sort of order and stability that the room needed since Andrew’s passing.

- It’s hard to hold down a mortgage as a single mother of two. Emily will eventually have to move the family. She decides that it would be good for Andy to have his birthday moved up about a week so that he can spend it with his friends before they move. She also was able to get a hold of the coolest toy of 1995 that she hopes will take the sting out of moving…



The Beginning.

I'd like to thank all of you for your support in this endeavor and I hope that you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed making it. I've been toying with the idea of illustrating part of this story so let me know in the comments if you'd like to see that happen.

Special thanks to the Toy Story Collections page on Facebook for letting me post the story there as well as to the fans who have reached out to me in relation to the story.

Be on the lookout for more fan fiction to be released soon and let me know what kinds of things you'd like to see. Thank you for liking, sharing, and commenting and may all of you continue to be your best selves.
--Taylor Campbell

Bonus Round:
The Answer from last time:
In Japan, Inside Out replaced broccoli with peppers since peppers are more disliked over there.

True or False:
The Millenium Falcon in Star Wars has appeared in not just Episodes 4-7, but also has a cameo in episode 3. first one to respond with either true or false gets a shout out in an upcoming event starting this thursday. have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment